Carter Reed ['15]

NWC alumnus Carter Reed knows a thing or two about navigating college with success. After an
active academic career at Northwest College, he attended California State University, Long Beach, where he earned a bachelor’s in communication studies and a minor in history. Currently, he is enrolled at the University of Nebraska College of Law and is set to graduate in 2020.How did you become interested in law and politics?

My grandmother gave me a book of all the presidents when I was a little boy, and I loved to read it. I still have it today. Reading all the stories about American history really inspired me. So many great people came from very little and went on to do great things. I later got interested in the law while working at the Heart Mountain Interpretive Learning Center during my years at NWC. I wrote my final NWC paper on the injustices suffered by Japanese Americans who were forced into the Heart Mountain Camp during WWII. My other grandmother’s family lived in one of the barracks from the camp after it closed, so it really mattered to me.

How did you know Northwest College was a good fit for you?

I competed in speech and debate in high school, and NWC has one of the best and most competitive two-year debate programs in the country. My father and uncle also taught at Northwest, so it really felt like home. Most of all, I loved the sense of community I felt, which is truly unique to the college. Every day while walking from Simpson Hall to the cafeteria or to the Yellowstone building, I’d see someone I knew and had a good memory with. The connections I made at NWC are some of the most important relationships in my life today.

What’s the best piece of academic advice you’ve ever received?

“Surround yourself by people who are smarter than you, and you will always have something to learn.” A woman named Nancy Erickson told me that. She was the secretary of the U.S. Senate and told the group I was with that the best education you could get out of life was in learning from the experiences of those around you. Don’t underestimate your family and friends. Sometimes the smartest people you’ll ever meet are right beside you, and you don’t want to miss out on the experience and wisdom they can share with you.

How did Northwest College prepare you for your current academic career?

I truly believe that Northwest is a world-class academic institution. The faculty and staff are there to provide a hands-on learning environment that is tailored to the students. Getting to know my professors as well as I did is not possible at other schools, and I was exposed to new schools of thought that really opened my eyes and led me to where I am today. Take advantage of it while you can.

What advice do you have for current students?

As cheesy as it sounds, the most important advice I can give to new NWC students is to get involved. NWC has a very active campus life and being a member of the debate team, or the student government, or the soccer team, or any other club, can make the difference between liking college and loving college. The two years I spent on campus at NWC were some of the best times I’ve had in my life, and my only wish is that I could’ve done more.

Comments

Popular Posts