Miles Rumbolz ['18]

For NWC sophomore Miles Rumbolz, music is more than a hobby—it’s a passion and a way of life.
As a vocal music education major, he’s involved in just about every ensemble campus has to offer; although, he still manages to find additional ways to integrate this passion into his everyday life by writing music, participating in jazz band and playing the piano and drums. However, when he finds free time outside of singing and other academic activities like Phi Theta Kappa, he enjoys snowboarding and spending time with friends.

How did you know NWC was a good fit for you?

I knew Northwest College would be a good fit for me because of the professors. After being at Northwest, I really started to love it because of the instructors. They really care about student success, so it just makes me work harder. All my professors have driven me to become a better student. I can really see how much progress I've made, and I owe that all to them.

What do you enjoy most about your major?

I really enjoy the community aspect of my major. All the music majors are great friends with each other, and we all push each other to be the best musicians we can be. We all want each other to succeed, so we don't let each other slack off. Another great thing is the music faculty. We get so much one on one time with the faculty, which would never happen at a university, and it really makes us all better musicians. They want us all to succeed and go on to be great teachers or performers. Being a music major here has allowed me to gain lifelong friends and some wonderful advisers.

What inspires you?

I think that my vocal professors in the Music Department have inspired me the most. My adviser and director, Brennan Baglio, has really inspired me. He has pushed me very hard since I've been here, and it has helped me become a better musician and just a harder worker in general. I can tell he wants me to succeed and move on to great things, which makes me want to do exactly that. Also, my vocal jazz lesson teacher, Amanda Taylor, has inspired me a great deal. Her level of musicianship has inspired me to become better, and the way she pushes me in my lessons has led me to become a completely different musician. Both of them have inspired me to become the best musician that I can be, and I know I'll succeed at the next school I go to because of what I've learned from them.

What advice do you have for future NWC students?

I would recommend new students get out of their comfort zone and try new things while they are here. I did that, and because of it, I met new people that I will be friends with for the remainder of my life. I also took classes that I didn't think I would ever take, and they completely changed the way I think about certain things now. I think getting out of your comfort zone will be the best way to get new experiences and make new friends while you are at NWC.

Comments

Popular Posts