Kristi Hernandez ['18]

Psychology major Kristi Hernandez doesn’t aim low when it comes to her dreams and ambitions.
Amid serving as the Phi Theta Kappa Vice President of Scholarship, staying busy with coursework and establishing the Northwest College Psychology Club, she was also recently nominated as NWC’s candidate for the Wyoming All-State Academic Team. Recognition of Hernandez’s excellence was held at the Wyoming Association of Community College Trustees awards ceremony in February. As only one of twelve individuals selected in the state, she was recognized as part of the Wyoming All-State Academic Team and as an eligible member for the New Century Scholar program.

How did you know NWC was a good fit for you?

I always wanted to go back to school. Due to the nature of my life at the time out of high school, I was busy raising my children and supporting them. I honestly didn’t even think that college was an option for me. I was unable to afford it. I stashed my dream away for a long time (22 years). After purchasing a home in the Powell area and having my two oldest children move out on their own, I found myself with a little more freedom to focus on me. I spoke with numerous people in the community about working in the field of psychology and was inspired to look into some classes for myself.

I will never forget Morgen Patrick. In spring 2016, I found an advertisement for a workshop for federal student aid and attended it. Morgan Patrick was the instructor. After her assistance with the application, I found I was able to go to college full time. I was ecstatic and enrolled that fall. Northwest College has been a blessing in so many ways, from the staff, to my peers and the many opportunities I have received since my enrollment. Northwest College is not just a stepping stone to the rest of my education; NWC has provided me with opportunities beyond my expectations to further my education in realistic ways. 

What do you enjoy about your major?

The field of psychology is endless. It all revolves around helping others. My passion lies within helping children and young adults, specifically with developmental challenges and autism. Statistics show that 1 in 33 children are now born with autism, and even higher numbers reflect the impact of developmental issues. This will be an epidemic I feel our society is not well prepared for. The need for specialists in this field will be high, and I want to be part of making that change. I have a lot of compassion for people and their “stories” and can relate to many hardships people endure. I have conquered many of my own personal conflicts and advocate for others that struggle with mental health issues, disabilities and addictions.

What advice do you have for future Trappers?

“Shoot for the Stars!” Northwest College has many opportunities available for all types of majors and interests. It also is a time to allow yourself to find out who you are and to explore the possibilities for your life and future. Take the time to be diverse in your classes because you never know what you might find in a field you never thought you would be interested in. Live your own dreams and explore your own identity.

Comments

Popular Posts