Tim Herzog ['18]

Sophomore Tim Herzog, outdoor education and recreation leadership major, thrives on adventure and
the great outdoors. As president of the Outdoor Club, a member of the Running Club, HvZ Club, Phi Theta Kappa and Campus Ventures, he dives headfirst into every experience at Northwest College. He also works on the Student Activities Board and at Tutoring Services, but when he manages to find free time, he enjoys camping, hiking and fishing. “Anything that I can do outside, I do,” Herzog said.

How did you know Northwest College was a good fit for you?

I knew Northwest College was a good fit because of all the benefits it provided for me. First, my dad was an NWC alumnus which allowed me to get in-state tuition, even though I’m from Montana. Secondly, I was awarded multiple scholarships for band, Spanish and just for being a great student in high school. This made college very affordable. Also, Powell is the perfect distance from home, so I don’t have to feel like I have to go home every weekend, but I’m also close enough so that it isn’t a super long drive. Finally, I knew NWC was a good fit because there is so much to do around here with the mountains being so close and many other outdoor activities to do.

What do you enjoy most about your major?

I get to do hands-on, outdoor-related activities every single day. I’ve gotten to go on a couple of backpacking trips, climbing trips and rafting trips which are my favorite. I’ve learned how to facilitate courses and be a leader, which are some of my favorite things to do since I’m very outgoing and love people. Finally, the most important thing I love about my major is having the ability to be in the wilderness and fresh air, not all, but most of the time.

What are your plans after NWC?

After NWC, I plan on going to a university to earn a bachelor’s in outdoor education and forestry. I haven’t planned exactly where I’m going to go yet, but I plan on going to either Blacks Hills State University or Montana State University Billings for outdoor adventure leadership and forestry. I plan on someday being in the Forest Service and taking care of our forests. In order to do that, I need to get a bachelor’s degree, so that’s my plan.

What advice do you have for future NWC students?

Stay involved as much as you possibly can. I know everyone says that, but that’s because it’s important. I have made so many friends at this college just because I attended so many activities and clubs on campus. When I was a freshman, I never got involved in anything and just sat in my room, and that was the worst. I see new students also doing that, so I do my best to get them involved because I know the struggle. The more activities and events you go to, the more friends you will meet and the more connections you make to other events on campus. Sometimes that can even lead to more scholarships. So go out and do everything you possibly can!

Comments

Popular Posts